Wednesday, March 14, 2007

Bear-onomics 201

UPDATE on The Great Bear Debate 2007:

I found out that the bears cost $10 apiece. (this was more than I expected...for the size/quality of the bear, I was thinking more like $3 -$5...but I suppose there was the charitable component at work).

I also found out that there were 40 bears for sale. I'm not great at math, but that looks like $400 to buy all the bears. I also found out that the Bear-ophile Daddy won 3 "free week of daycare" prizes hidden in the bears' pots. If I take an average amount for daycare at our place, it's probably around $180.

So $180 * 3 weeks = $540. So Bear Lovin' Poppa got an $140 discount on daycare, a charitable deduction on his taxes (minus the $3-5 cost per bear), and 40 bears to give away to family and friends for St. Paddy's Day.

So, as much as it pains me, I have to go with option a) Savvy businessman.

Bastard.

1 comment:

Cagey (Kelli Oliver George) said...

Actually, his deduction would be HIS cost of the bears minus the daycare prize since he can deduct only the amount of his contribution that exceeds the fair market value of the benefit received. Unless that's what you meant and I read it wrong.

I still say he was a selfish prick because he violated the whole spirit of the thing. It was supposed to be a fun, charity thingie and he took all the fun out of it.