Wednesday, July 30, 2008

A Goofy Complaint

A brief timeout from motherhood topics to lodge a complaint...

I love blogging. I love Twitter. I am able to keep tabs on friends that I don't see for months at a time with these tools. I also have made new friends. I'm also reading about people that don't even have a clue that I exist, yet they inspire and motivate me in one way or another, typically on a daily basis.

All these social media tools are wonderful additions to my life.

Yet....

I really miss the fine art of face-to-face conversation. Sitting down over a coffee, a beer, a glass of wine, dinner, a slice of pie (or preferably...all of the above!), and talking. Live. Chatting about the meaningless. Gabbing about the obscure. Deep discussion about the meaning of life.

Preferably without little kidlings interupting to tell me that they've recently farted.

Does anyone else miss this? Will there be a resurgence of the dinner party in response to all the "faceless" conversations we have on a daily basis? Or are they gone for good?

Is it just me or are we all missing out on something good?

5 comments:

lorib said...

I totally agree. I love reading blogs (but am not yet enamored with Twitter). I've had to embrace texting and Facebook because those are the only ways I can communicate with a couple of my friends. A kid free night out with friends, sitting around eating, drinking and letting the discussion go where it may -- sounds like the perfect evening to me, especially if there is pie!

I see serious problems coming in the near future with the generations who are growing up with all this "faceless" conversation. Do they know how to have a real conversation? I know that many of the 20-somethings that I have worked with cannot write or spell and don't seem to be concerned about their lack of these skills.

Cagey (Kelli Oliver George) said...

I agree with Lorib, I miss face-to-face interaction. Especially without kids. Unfortunately, right now X is working all the freakin' time and getting a sitter is at a premium. The one evening I do have a sitter is usually burnt catching up on things.

Anonymous said...

One thing that's cool about Twitter (and in a more formal way, Facebook) is that they can be used to facilitate face-to-face meetups. When I'm sitting at the computer, I can keep an eye on Twitter to feel connected. When I'm ready to be around people, I can Twitter to find someone to go to lunch with me or meet me for a drink.

Any time you want to get together - even without pie - just say the word!

Anonymous said...

We still do that - Nora insists on it. Twice a month we have people over later -7:ish- and put the kids to bed after they've been adored. And we have a late dinner, or just nosh and drink red wine (reelin' in the years, donchaknow?)

It keeps us human and, not incidentally, often gives us more to write about than recursive twitter droppings or recusive recusive blog memes....

Anonymous said...

hey- you are two months late on a promised coffee date. nuff said