Tuesday, July 24, 2007

Done with Harry? Now what?!

Me personally...I'm not done with Harry. I'm taking my darn, sweet time. I just watched HP4 last night. I plan on going to see HP5 in the theatres sometime this week. Then I will (hopefully) receive HP6 and HP7 in the mail from Amazon.com. I've already read HP6, but I want to re-read it again. Then, and only then, will I pick up and lovingly read HP7. I can't wait!

I want to wallow in all things wizardly. Yep, I'm OCD like that. And I rarely eat my dessert first.

So, I'm petrified that someone will spoil HP7 for me. I'm afraid to go to the theatre to see HP5, for fear that some blabbermouth fan will bust out with "Hey did you know how it all ends? Well, let me tell you? ...blah, blah, blah". SHUDDER.

Anyway, even though I'm not 1/2 way through my Harry Plan, I've already started looking for the next big thing. I've found a few books that are similar in theme and tone as the HP books. If you're interested, they are:

Percy Jackson and the Olympians - think Harry Potter with Greek Gods instead of wizards
The Bartimaeus Trilogy - a young magician and a smart-assed demon; very well-written

I read the Percy Jackson series in about two weeks. There are three books out now, and more to come. The Bart Trilogy I am listening to on audio. I would highly recommend the audio - there are lots of characters and the narrator does a good job of keeping them all straight and sounding different.

Happy reading, whatever you are reading!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I recommend Philip Pullman's "His Dark Materials" series. I read it between Harry Potter books a while back and liked it a lot. Plus, the first movie (The Golden Compass) is coming out soon!

Anonymous said...

I fully support your Harry Plan. I re-read HP5 in anticipation of the movie (which I loved!) and wish I had the time and patience to re-read HP6 but went ahead and jumped into HP7, especially with baby arrival imminent. I too am horrified by the thought of spoilers and have been avoiding the news sites.

Having a hard time following doctor's orders to get lots of rest since the only time I can read HP7 is right before bed and then I can't put it down!